clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Titans find a way, beat the Colts in a wild one, 34-31

Syndication: The Tennessean George Walker IV / / USA TODAY NETWORK

How would the Titans respond after two big wins over the Bills and the Chiefs? With another win — this one much more hard fought than last week. Tennessee improved to 6-2 today on the road, dramatically winning to take an even bigger lead in the AFC South.

Like we’ve grown used to seeing now, the Titans were sleepwalking to start the day in Indianapolis. The Colts drove right down the field and scored to open the game, and then cashed in on a Ryan Tannehill interception to take a 14-0 lead.

It took nearly a quarter, but Todd Downing’s offense — playing without Julio Jones — settled in. Tannehill tossed a touchdown to Geoff Swaim to cut the Indy lead in half, and then threw another to A.J. Brown.

The Brown touchdown came after a bang-bang play that saw Tannehill throw his second pick of the game, but the Titans regained possession after a fumble later in the play. A.J. Brown took it from there, scoring on a catch and run from 57 yards out to tie the game.

Indianapolis would add a field goal to take us to halftime, leading 17-14.

Tennessee put together a 14 play drive that went 75 yards to take the lead coming out of the halftime break. Tannehill found Nick Westbrook-Ikhine on a slant to cap off the drive, making the new score 21-17.

An Amani Hooker defensive pass interference call powered the Colts’ answer. The flag set up Carson Wentz inside of the five, and he quickly found Jack Doyle for the score.

The Titans entered the fourth quarter trailing 24-21. It was another methodical drive for the offense as Downing leaned heavily on Derrick Henry. They were headed for the redzone when Ben Jones was popped for a hold, which ended the drive. Randy Bullock came on and tied the game, connecting from 46 yards out.

Just as Tennessee got the stop they needed, Jeffery Simmons was called for unnecessary roughness to give the Colts new life. And once again, just as they got the sack to get off of the field, Greg Maybin was called for a defensive hold. Even with two gifts, the Colts couldn’t take advantage, punting back to the Titans.

Tennessee began their four-minute offense. Derrick Henry converted on fourth down at mid-field, but Chester Rogers was called for a hold. Kemoko Turay sacked Tannehill two plays later to end the drive.

The Colts would get the ball back with under two minutes to play. Starting at their own eight yard line, Wentz was put under immediate pressure. Just looking to get rid of it and avoid a safety, Wentz floated the ball up and Elijah Molden picked him off. Molden ended up in the endzone, on one of the strangest pick sixes you’ll ever see.

Wentz had one final chance, and got things going with a big play to Michael Pittman at midfield. And then another penalty changed the complexion of this game. Kevin Byard was flagged for defensive pass interference in the endzone, setting the Colts up on the goalline. Jonathan Taylor scored on the next play, once again evening the game up.

To overtime we went. Both sides traded three and outs to begin.

Wentz tried to attack downfield, but Kevin Byard made a game-changing play on the ball, stepping in front for the interception. A big play to A.J. Brown over the middle put the Titans in field goal range.

Randy Bullock came on for the win and drilled a 45 yard attempt.

Final Score: Titans 34, Colts 31

On a day where the Titans racked up 162 yards worth of penalties, the Titans found a way.

Tennessee (6-2) will travel to Los Angeles next week to take on the Rams (7-1) on Sunday Night Football.