Today, the Titans had their first padded practice of 2019. I wasn’t able to make it out there today, but here is a recap of what went down out at Saint Thomas Sports Park from various reporters who were there.
A.J. Brown: Brown was missing from practice again today as he deals with some sort of leg injury suffered during Friday’s practice. Mike Vrabel called him day-to-day, but today was not that day.
Derrick Henry: Same story for Henry. He left Friday’s practice early with an injury to his foot/ankle and was absent yesterday and today. Like Brown, Vrabel called Henry day-to-day originally. [UPDATE: Ian Rapoport was at camp today and tweeted that the team is “not worried about it”]
Should not be a big deal. The team is not worried about it. https://t.co/tBtFzm2QSC— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 28, 2019
Jeffery Simmons: Simmons continues to do conditioning work only as he remains on the PUP list.
Jonnu Smith: Smith continues to do conditioning work only we he remains on the PUP list.
Jurrell Casey: Casey continues to do conditioning work only we he remains on the PUP list.
Ryan Succop: No signs of Succop at practice today. He remains on the PUP list.
Jack Conklin: Conklin was a full participant in practice today after getting a maintenance day yesterday.
Amani Bledsoe: The undrafted rookie defensive lineman left practice early on Saturday with a trainer. He did not practice again today.
Delanie Walker: Walker was one of several veterans to receive the day off today. I don’t have any reason to believe this has anything to do with his awkward slip after a catch yesterday.
Dennis Kelly: Kelly is the unfortunate addition to this list today as he limped off during an 11-on-11 period and went to the locker room. Obviously, Kelly is pretty crucial to the Titans plans for the first four games with Taylor Lewan expected to be suspended. Here’s to hoping for good news about The Undertaker. [UPDATE: Mike Vrabel called Kelly’s status a “dehydration issue” and didn’t seem too worried about it.]
Maintenance Days: Cameron Wake, Rodger Saffold, and Wesley Woodyard all joined Walker with a scheduled day off. Expect to see several of these days for this group of over-30 veterans.
Corey Davis with a phenomenal catch over Adoree’ Jackson on an out-and-up.
Mariota throws deep down the sideline for Corey Davis, who goes up high for an impressive grab over Adoree’ Jackson — despite great coverage.— Erik Bacharach (@ErikBacharach) July 28, 2019
Play of the day so far. pic.twitter.com/1YXNkwhwK1
Brent Urban blows up an outside zone run in the backfield (beating Ben Jones). Great reach block on the edge by Jack Conklin though.
The pads are poppin’ let’s get it pic.twitter.com/wUxeaHIPaq— Calvin Smith (@SmithACalvin) July 28, 2019
Rashaan Evans beats Conklin’s block to blow up a run play here.
Stuffing the run @616evans4 pic.twitter.com/o4Xap7ZoZM— AtoZSports Nashville (@AtoZSports) July 28, 2019
Adam Humphries makes a nice sliding catch over the middle.
.@adamhumphries13 with a sliding catch @Titans camp. pic.twitter.com/0RC0q4Zcks— Jim Wyatt (@jwyattsports) July 28, 2019
- Marcus Mariota was reportedly very sharp today, stringing together a second straight day of good play. It’s encouraging to see that from a guy who desperately needs a good season.
- The star of the day was Corey Davis though. The Titans top wide receiver had several acrobatic catches throughout practice.
- Rashaan Evans sounds like he’s building on his strong close to the 2018 season.
- Based on the rep counts at running back (more on those from Travis May later today), it seems like my guy Alex Barnes is somewhat buried on the depth chart there. Hoping that he begins to work his way up, but for right now, it looks like Jeremy McNichols is the next guy in line behind Derrick Henry, Dion Lewis, and David Fluellen.
- Brent Urban’s potential impact has probably been undersold so far this offseason. The 6’-7”, 300-pounder is enormous and is a perfect fit for the 5-technique role opposite Jurrell Casey. He made some plays today.
I’ll be out at camp on Wednesday and Friday this week and will bring a more thorough report on those days. If there is anything in particular you want me to keep an eye on, let me know in the comments!