clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Titans beat Colts 31-17

Massive win.

Tennessee Titans v Indianapolis Colts Photo by Bobby Ellis/Getty Images

This game started just as any normal Titans-Colts game should — with the Titans shooting themselves in the foot. Derrick Henry took his first carry for a gain of ten, but turned the ball over in the process. That set up Jacoby Brissett with a short field, which he immediately capitalized on.

Jack Doyle hauled in the first score of the game, putting the Colts up 7-0 early on.

Needing an early answer, Ryan Tannehill found on. A few nice runs from Henry, paired with a big pickup from Corey Davis put the Titans in business. Tannehill found Adam Humphries in the redzone, who did the rest. Humphries extended for the score to tie the game up at 7-7.

After a stop, Tennessee was looking for a lead. But that didn’t happen on this drive. Tannehill was sacked and fumble on the first play of the drive, giving the Colts their second takeaway of the day. It ended up not hurting Tennessee though, as the Titans blocked an Adam Vinatieri field goal attempt.

After a Titans punt, Brissett put a good-looking drive together. It was Marcus Washington, Nyheim Hines and Jonathan Williams getting down the field for the Colts. But Dean Pees’ defense came through in the redzone, keeping Indianapolis out of the endzone.

Vinatieri finally hit his first field goal of the day to take the lead at 10-7. That score would hold until the halftime break.

Indianapolis came out of the break and immediately went to work. Brissett found Zach Pascal for a big play over the middle for 26 yards. He caught another on the drive for 19 more. Jack Doyle got the Colts inside of the five, then Hines did the rest. The Colts extended their lead over the Titans to the tune of 17-7 early in the third quarter.

Arthur Smith’s offense had to find an answer on the next drive. It started well with a big burst from Derrick Henry, moving the ball into Colts’ territory. A.J. Brown took a screen pass inside of the 30, then Henry moved the chains again pushing towards the Indy 20.

Mike Vrabel opted to go for in on 4th down and one. That call worked out — and then some. Henry ran it into the endzone on the play, inching back to within three points of the Colts at 14-17.

Brissett changed the game with an interception on the first play of the next drive. Kevin Byard picked up one of the easiest picks of his career, giving the Titans a chance to take the lead. That didn’t happen, but Ryan Succop was able to tie things up at 17-17.

That was our score as the fourth quarter began.

After trading punts, the Colts finally got something going. Indianapolis picked up a first down, then Rashaan Evan was flagged for a personal foul. Zach Pascal picked up another 20 yards after that call, moving into Titans’ territory.

Once again, the drive stalled, bringing out Vinatieri again — which is where the game changed. Dane Cruikshank blocked the attempt and Tye Smith took it to the house to take the lead.

Just like that, the Titans led 24-17 with 5:02 left.

Brissett threw a pick on the next drive. Logan Ryan grabbed the overthrow from Brissett, who was trying to find Pascal on a seam route.

Ryan Tannehill put the game away on the next drive. On a key third down, Tannehill found Kalif Raymond deep to put this one on ice. Raymond dove for the ball and came down with it just as he went across the goalline.

Very quickly, the Titans went from down 17-7, to up 31-17.

The defense officially ended this one, forcing a fumble and recovering it on the final drive of the game.

Tennessee moved to 7-5 on the season, picking up a massive win to strengthen their playoff outlook. They’ll be back in action next Sunday against the Raiders in Oakland — looking for another key victory.