clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Titans fall to the Dolphins, 27-20

Awful day.

NFL: Tennessee Titans at Miami Dolphins Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

What an absolutely dreadful day of football for the Tennessee Titans. The Titans lost to the Miami Dolphins — and it took over seven hours to get that result. Marcus Mariota, Delanie Walker and Taylor Lewan exited this one with injuries.

It could not have gone worst. Here’s how it all went down.

The first drive was a success for the Titans, but they were unable to cash in an early touchdown. A nice mix of Derrick Henry and Corey Davis put Tennessee into Miami territory early. Mariota uncorked one deep to Taywan Taylor, but the second year receiver was unable to make the catch despite an accurate pass.

Ryan Succop did get the Titans on the board, however, bringing the lead to 3-0.

Tennessee got a stop on their first defensive series, then the rain came. Even legitimate monsoon conditions couldn’t stop the Titans between the twenties early, as Marcus Mariota manufactured another drive deep into Miami territory. A big pass to Luke Stocker for 31 yards put the Titans at the goal line once again.

Mike Vrabel chose to go for it on 4th down from the three yard line, targeting Corey Davis in the flats. Davis was tackled short, turning the ball over on downs.

That stop by the Dolphins seemed to get the momentum going in their favor. A few nice runs by Frank Gore — complete with a ridiculous unnecessary roughness penalty — put the Dolphins in the redzone. Ryan Tannehill completed the drive with an out route to Kenny Stills, who got into the endzone.

Just like the Titans, the Dolphins got a stop on the next drive then opted to go for a fourth a one inside of their own redzone. Just like the Titans, they didn’t get it.

Mariota took over with 1:55 to play, but lightning in the area forced a delay. After a two hour delay, the Titans sat on the ball and punted, taking us to halftime in a 7-3 game.

On the first drive of the second half, Marcus Mariota got his throwing hand popped after a read option attempt. Mariota was forced to leave the game, but only missed one snap.

On the following drive, Mariota threw a pick — and chaos broke loose. The benches cleared after Taylor Lewan was blindsided on the interception return. Lewan left for the locker room after the play, clearly shaken up.

After all the dust settled, the Dolphins were left in a really good spot. Tannehill hit Mike Gesicki and Danny Amendola to set up shot inside the ten yard line. However, Tannehill was picked off by Malcolm Butler on the goal line to end the drive.

At that time, storms rolled in once more for our second weather delay of the day. It was another long delay with the game finally resuming at 6 PM central.

Offensive coordinator Matt Lafleur dialed up a screen pass to get things going, but Mariota floated it too high. The ball was picked off — Mariota’s second of the day. The Tennessee defense minimized the damage though, holding the Dolphins to a field goal.

10-3 Miami was the new score.

Apparently, Mariota’s injury was bothering him too much to continue. He was listed as questionable to return with an elbow injury. Blaine Gabbert entered the game, handing off to Dion Lewis, who flipped the field immediately for Tennessee.

Gabbert hit a big pass to Corey Davis over the middle to get to the three, then Dion Lewis punched it in for the Titans’ first touchdown of the year. Just like that, it was a 10-10 game — and then it wasn’t. Jakeem Grant took the following kickoff back for a touchdown, giving the Dolphins the lead right back.

The Titans got the ball back and fed Derrick Henry, who broke off a 64 yard touchdown run — only to have it called back for a holding penalty. Gabbert was unable to generate anything after that, forcing another Brett Kern punt.

Miami stayed aggressive, taking a shot to Kenny Stills. Stills hauled it in, bringing the lead to 14 points. It was Malcolm Butler who was beaten deep. Incredibly enough, Darius Jennings took the following kick back for six, getting the Titans right back into this one.

Kenny Vaccaro picked off Tannehill on another deep attempt on the following drive, giving Gabbert a shot to go tie the game. After a few successful Lewis runs, Gabbert was picked off. It looked like a miscommunication with Delanie Walker. The interception was returned all the way down to the Titans’ 12 yard line.

Kamalei Correa came up with a huge sack on second down, putting Miami in a field goal situation. The Dolphins converted that attempt, bringing it back to a two possession game.

On the very first play of the next drive, Delanie Walker made a catch and immediately went down with a lower leg injury. It was a right ankle injury that looked pretty serious. He was carted off the field.

The Titans went turned the ball over on down shortly after. Gabbert was able to get one more chance and put something together, at least enough to get the Titans a field goal. Ryan Succop nailed it, to bring it back to a one score game. The onside kick attempt could not be recovered, however.

Final score: Dolphins 27, Titans 20