Florida Atlantic at #7 Oklahoma Noon Fox
- The Lane Kiffin Show travels to Norman to take on another young prodigy coach in Lincoln Riley. FAU has been getting some buzz as a top Group of 6 program that could go undefeated. Oklahoma has to replace its Heisman winner Baker Mayfield and some key pieces off of its defense so Kiffin could do some damage calling plays. OU QB Kyler Murray has been named the starter for his final season before going to baseball full time next year. He isn’t Mayfield but is an adequate replacement nonetheless. FAU’s OC is just 25 years old.
Florida Atlanta prospect to watch
1. Devin Singletary 5’9 200 RB Junior
- The best running back that no one is talking about. He had a monstrous 2017 with 1,918 yards and 32 touchdowns. Really blew up as a sophomore under Lane Kiffin’s guidance. If he has another year like last year, expect him to declare early.
Oklahoma prospect to watch
1. Rodney Anderson 6’1 219 RB RS Junior
- Anderson burst onto the scene last year under new head coach Lincoln Riley. He’s an excellent runner who can hit singles and doubles instead of going for the home run every time. He does have the home run in his arsenal. Lateral agility is a plus. Solid at finding the holes his OL sets up for him. Patience is a virtue and he lives up to it. Tries hard in pass pro. Doesn’t have the top end speed.
#17 West Virginia vs. Tennessee 3:30 PM CBS
Location: Bank of America Stadium Charlotte, NC
- The Mountaineers and Volunteers will meet in Charlotte to determine who has the better military themed tradition and to play a game in the middle of it. Tennessee had some “issues” with its coaching search but likely found the right man for the job in Jeremy Pruitt. He will be tested by West Virginia’s Air Raid offense right off the bat. Tennessee is in yet another rebuilding effort so expect WVU to take advantage. Then again, WVU’s defense isn’t the greatest in the world so there may be some plays to be made.
West Virginia prospects to watch
1. Will Grier 6’1 214 QB RS Senior
- Grier is one of the best pocket passers in the class. He makes everything seem so effortless in terms of moving the pocket, making the right reads, and has enough arm talent to make the throws. Has enough athleticism to make things work when things are not on schedule. Footwork is a plus. The frame is a question that needs answering he’s listed at 6’1 214. Offensive scheme does not do him any favors as he plays in the Air Raid offense.
Tennessee prospects to watch
1. Johnathan Kongbo 6’5 264 EDGE RS Senior
- Kongbo is finally a senior this year. His development mirrors the program’s inconsistencies. He should finally put it together this year under defensive mastermind and HC Jeremy Pruitt. It will be interesting to watch him develop.
2.Trey Smith 6’6 320 OL Sophomore
- Smith has been the stalwart lineman everyone predicted that he would be when he was a five star recruit. Unfortunately, he was sidelined with blood clots in his lungs for some time this spring and summer. Fortunately, he has been cleared to return but it bears watching going forward. Has one more year left to play after 2018.
#14 Michigan at #12 Notre Dame 7:30 PM NBC
- These two long time rivals meet once more after a long hiatus due to “scheduling conflicts”. Michigan boasts an elite defense under legendary DC Don Brown and a QB that could work in Shea Patterson (Ole Miss transfer). Jim Harbaugh really needs a big year to get another year in Ann Arbor. Notre Dame must replace their standout offensive linemen who graduated to the NFL. It should be a fun game in the trenches.
Michigan prospects to watch
1. Rashan Gary 6’4 281 DL Junior
- Gary was the number one ranked recruit in his class. He’s a beast inside and should have a nice year in 2018 before he likely declares early. One of the best defensive tackles in the country in a really loaded draft eligible class.
2. Devin Bush, Jr 5’11 222 LB Junior
- Bush is a force to be reckoned with in both the middle and outside. He’s undersized for the position but is very fundamentally sound. A bowling ball of energy. Father is Devin Bush, Sr who stood out as a linebacker for Florida State during the dynasty years.
Notre Dame prospect to watch
1. Te’Von Coney 6’0 240 LB Senior
- Fundamentally sound. Technician. Plus athlete that can go sideline to sideline in a hurry. The leader of the rebuilt Irish defense.
Louisville vs. #1 Alabama 8 PM ABC
Location: Camping World Stadium Orlando, FL
- The brash Cardinals meet the reigning national champion Crimson Tide in Orlando. The last time we saw the Tide was when they caused Georgia yet another heartbreak in the title game. Alabama has to replace a ton of talent on their defense but has talent waiting in the wings to take over as usual. I expect Louisville to test the green secondary of Alabama early and often even though they are breaking in a new QB themselves. There’s also the QB “controversy” that has all of college football talking for Bama. Both Jalen Hurts and presumptive starter Tua T will play. Expect the Tide to win a close one.
Louisville prospects to watch
1. Jaylen Smith 6’4 223 WR Senior
- The Cardinals’ leading receiver returns for an encore sans the electrifying Lamar Jackson. Excellent route runner who is technically sound and just knows how to get open. Could be a high draft pick if things break right for him. Teams will fall in love with his measureables.
Alabama prospects to watch
1. Damien Harris 5’10 216 RB Senior
- Football IQ is very good. He’s very instinctive as a runner and knows where and how to attack a defense. Takes what he can get and goes down. Knows what he is and doesn’t deviate from that much. A power back. The biggest knock is that he doesn’t have that home run speed to run away. Straight line runner with very little lateral agility.
2. Raekwon Davis 6’7 303 DL Junior
- He got next. The latest in a long line of standout defensive linemen for the Tide who patiently waited his turn to shine. He was a terror to guard against as a sophomore and should be the same in 2018. One of the best defensive linemen in the nation regardless of class. He’s #good.
3. Mack Wilson 6’0 231 LB Junior
- See above except for being a linebacker. Rashaan Evans who? Wilson is very talented in his own right and will look to take the reins from the Titans’ latest first round pick. He stood out as a sophomore in extended playing time. Should be a force again. Expect to declare early.
The Pac-12 related prospect previews are located here, including Washington vs Auburn
Bonus game to watch
Ole Miss vs Texas Tech Noon ESPN
Location: NRG Stadium Houston, TX
- Ole Miss WRs AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are good. The best receiver duo in the nation. Texas Tech has WR TJ Vasher as well. Expect a shootout.