A lot of us growing up watching ESPN in the 2000s’ may remember watching a show called “The Top Five Reasons You Can’t Blame...” The focus of the show takes a look at controversial sports incidents and defends those who have been accused. Examples of episodes include Steve Bartman, Bill Buckner, the Atlanta Falcons trading Brett Favre, and Dan Marino never winning a Super Bowl.
Hosted by now MLB Network studio host Brian Kenny, it was a great show that ran from 2005 to 2007 on ESPN 2 and ESPN Classic and offered alternative perspectives on these infamous sporting events
After going through a binge run, I thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if ESPN were to resurrect the long defunct series. Since Music City Miracles is a football related site, this of course will be exclusive to new football related ideas since 2007, since a lot has happened in that time.
With that in mind, here are some of my ideas. I don’t necessarily believe all of these things, but they’re alternative viewpoints that work for the mentioned events.
Pete Carroll for the Seahawks losing Super Bowl XLIX
5. The Seahawks had 1 timeout with 26 seconds left on 2nd and goal
4. Russell Wilson threw the interception
3. Brandon Browner blocked Jermaine Kearse from setting a pick play on Malcolm Butler
2. It was a great play by Malcolm Butler
1. Malcolm Butler prevented Ricardo Lockette from scoring a touchdown on an acrobatic catch two plays prior
Kyle Shanahan for the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead
5. Devonta Freeman whiffed on a block during Matt Ryan’s fumble
4. You were not supposed to play not to lose against Bill Belichick and Tom Brady
3. Julian Edelman
2. Tom Brady
1. Robert Alford’s dropped interception
Rahim Moore for the Broncos losing in the 2012 Divisional Round
5. Peyton Manning’s overtime interception
4. Joe Flacco’s playoff run
3. Why was Moore all alone in the back?
2. Champ Bailey giving up two touchdowns to Torrey Smith
1. John Fox taking a knee to send the game to overtime
Marcus Williams for the Saints losing in the 2017 Divisional Round
5. The Saints defense gave up a go-ahead drive to the Vikings earlier in the game.
4. The Saints scored zero points in the first half
3. Why wasn’t Williams told what to do prior?
2. The Saints didn’t get a first down before their go-ahead field goal to allow the clock to run down
1. Marcus Williams’ interception on Case Keenum in the third quarter got the Saints back in the game
The Referees for the Jaguars losing in the 2017 AFC Championship Game
5. Tom Brady provided an amazing comeback
4. The Jaguars had a 3 and out after Myles Jack’s fumble recovery
3. The defense was getting worn out in the second half
2. Blake Bortles limiting the game plan for the Jaguars
1. Doug Marrone played it conservative before the end of the first half with two timeouts
Those are my picks. What games or incidents would you guys like to add? List your own “Top Five Reasons You Can’t Blame” from 5 to 1.