Day 1 of the Senior Bowl is in the books with the annual Which Sports Information Director is Fibbing in their Media Guides aka Weigh-ins and practices. Who stood out? Who didn’t do so well? Keep in mind that it’s only one day and prospects have two more make an impression. I watched a bit of the televised practice on NFL Network when I had a spare moment or two.
The Sporting News has the full weigh-in results
Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting has some insights from both practices
Jonah Tuls of NDT Scouting posts about his Day 1 Winners
Joe Marino of FanRag Sports writes about Day 1 South standouts
Joe Ledyard of FanRag Sports has his thoughts about Day 1 North practices
Trevor Sikkema of Pewter Report reflects on who stood out at both North and South practices
Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks share their Day 1 Standouts
Draftanalyst.com features their Day 1 risers
Tony Pauline has news and notes from the night
From the Twitters
Byron Pringle (WR, Kansas State) looks crisp in his movements so far. pic.twitter.com/d3PEwq2sRl— Trevor Sikkema (@TampaBayTre) January 23, 2018
Humboldt State OT Alex Cappa blows UTSA DE Marcus Davenport off the ball on this run play (far side). Sheesh. pic.twitter.com/5qRFqi4wFH— Trevor Sikkema (@TampaBayTre) January 23, 2018
Fort Hays State DT Nathan Shepherd is the real deal. Active hands and very intriguing as an interior rusher. What a find by this @seniorbowl staff.— Jonah Tuls (@JonahTulsNFL) January 24, 2018
Poona Ford showing where he wins vs Inside-Zone run drills after not making much of an impact in pass rush portion. Good luck reach-blocking him in the run game. Center of gravity too low and upfield motor is as good as they come.— RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) January 23, 2018
I’m able to confirm that #TXST’s Director of Football Operations John Streicher is leaving Texas State to take a job with the Tennessee Titans.— Nick Castillo (@Nick_Castillo74) January 23, 2018
Former Cardinals DC James Bettcher is choosing the Giants offer to become their DC over the Titans offer for the same position, a source told ESPN's @JoshWeinfuss. It appears Titans have struck out on early OC and DC choices. https://t.co/WH25KYCANU— Cameron Wolfe (@CameronWolfe) January 24, 2018
Mike Vrabel says the defensive coordinator he hires will have 100-percent control of playcalling... except when Vrabel decides he wants to use his HC position to call a blitz or a certain play. https://t.co/3HEAGWOpjO pic.twitter.com/RCzPPGXkve— Cameron Wolfe (@CameronWolfe) January 24, 2018
- Austin Golson (Auburn) more than held his own during OL vs DL one on ones.
- Bradley Bozeman (Alabama) is sturdy. He made some money today.
- Isaiah Wynn showed why he could be the most talented offensive lineman. Showed off upper body power and ability to mirror off defender.
- Virginia QB Kurt Benkert has great ball placement on both short and deep routes. The deep shot to DJ Chark (LSU) was a thing of beauty. Wouldn’t be surprised if he climbs the boards rapidly. The safety on that play was late in recognition though.
- Shaquem Griffin is just a ball player, man. He has an electric first step that beat a tackle like a drum. Is a missile rushing the passer.
- Tre Williams (Auburn LB) had an excellent play up the middle and he laid the wood on Rashaad Penny, forcing a fumble.
- The defensive ends on the South roster are no joke. They are lightning quick off the snap.
- James Washington of Oklahoma State proved why he was the Biletnikoff winner and then some. Possibly the best receiver in the ENTIRE class.
- Wyoming QB Josh Allen may look the part but can he deliver when it counts? He’s certainly not hiding his confidence in himself.
- Baker Mayfield is more Russell Wilson than Johnny Manziel. FACTS.
- Ogbonnia Okonkwro weighed in at 6’1 240, which puts to rest the he weighs 220 talk.
- WVU S Kyzir White is making me go look at his film again. This is good.
- Penn State DaeSean Hamilton is the truth. That is all.