The Titans were back at it again today at Saint Thomas Sports Park for day 2 of their 2017 training camp. Here are some highlights from the day’s action:
- Obviously the guy getting the most attention from the fans today was rookie receiver Corey Davis making his camp debut after finally getting his contract finalized yesterday. Davis did not disappoint. He lined up across from Rishard Matthews with the first team offense from the very first snap and proceeded to have what Mularkey called “a very good day”. Davis looks as-advertised and that is very good news for the Titans who are suddenly overflowing with offensive weapons. Davis was also spotted staying late after practice to get some extra work in. Couldn’t ask for a better first day from the rookie.
- Speaking of offensive weapons, the “other” rookie receiver, Taywan Taylor, made some great plays as well including a couple long touchdown catches. Taylor looks crisp getting in and out of his breaks.
- Eric Decker had a second straight impressive day. He rotated in the with first team, mostly lining up in the slot. This is what many have expected since the Decker signing became official, but it sure looks like the intention is for Davis to play at the X, Matthews at the Z, and Decker in the slot when the Titans go three wide. Decker is yet to drop a pass during the first two days of camp. Mularkey also called Decker “a coach on the field” for Taywan Taylor.
- The media coverage on Rishard Matthews is probably going to be pretty light during the lead up to the season since he’s surrounded by so many new faces in the receiver room, but it should be mentioned that he had a good day as well making a few really nice catches. Let’s not forget how good Matthews was down the stretch last year. He’s going to be heavily involved in the offense and rightfully so.
- At one point during the practice Mariota took off full speed on a scramble and showed no signs of favoring his leg. Mularkey was glad to see that and thinks it will help Mariota clear another mental hurdle in his recovery.
- Derrick Henry is getting a lot of reps with the first string and looks great. It sure seems like they are preparing for a more even split at running back this year between him and DeMarco Murray.
- Tajae Sharpe was out again today as he recovers from his foot injury. Mularkey said they are going to take their time with him and not rush him back.
- Kevin Dodd was among the standouts on the defensive side of the ball today with Mularkey singling him out for making plays. Obviously it is tough to judge the guys in the trenches before the pads come on, but as the Captain of #TeamDodd this is excellent news.
- Logan Ryan and LeShaun Sims continued to work as the top cornerback pair today. They were joined by Kevin Byard at free safety and Johnathan Cyprien at strong safety to make up the starting defensive backfield today. Cyprien was a full-go today after being limited yesterday with an ankle injury.
- Adoree Jackson flashed his incredible speed at times on Sunday, including running step for step in the hip pocket of Taywan Taylor and batting away the ball on a go route during one-on-one work.
- Cornerback Demontre Hurst picked off a Matt Cassel pass during team drills after dropping a similar opportunity yesterday. He seems to be turning some heads early on as he battles for a roster spot.
- Kalan Reed, while still in the mix a corner, is also getting some reps at free safety. I was wondering what the Titans plan was behind Kevin Byard at that spot. Searcy, Cyprien, and Trawick all profile more as strong safeties. Searcy can play credibly play free safety, but I wouldn’t call it his best use. Curtis Riley and Reed could be sneaky bets to make the roster due to their ability to play at either corner or free safety if needed.
Overall, Mike Mularkey seems very pleased with the execution and effort over the first two days of camp. His day one press conference sounded downright giddy. I can’t help but think he feels like he has something in this team after watching it. Day two’s tone wasn’t much different. You can check it out for yourself below.
Mike Mularkey Updates After #TitansCamp Day Two https://t.co/eYvrafepco— Tennessee Titans (@Titans) July 30, 2017
Tomorrow’s practice starts at 8:55 AM and is the team’s first day in full pads. I am planning to be out there to take it in and will be posting updates throughout the morning on Twitter (@MikeMiracles). If you are going to be there feel free to come say hi!