As we enter the dreadful football-less summer months, you are going to need something to pass the time. Why not get a head start on the 2017 draft class? That's what Mel Kiper Jr. will be doing. He's already released his way too early big board, which you can use a more of a watch list as we creep closer to college football season. Here are a couple of thoughts on Kiper's board.
- He ranks Texas A&M EDGE Myles Garrett at number one overall, to no surprise. Garrett should be the can't miss non-quarterback prospect this season. 24 sacks in just two seasons have Garrett poised for a top three selection next spring.
- Kiper's number two player was a bit of a surprise in Alabama's EDGE Tim Williams. Williams had plenty of hype rolling out of last season and could have easily been a first round pick this year. Instead, Williams heads up an impressive EDGE class with Garrett, Derek Barnett, DeMarcus Walker and Carl Lawson.
- Leonard Fournette lands at three on Kiper's list. I'm fascinated to see how high he can go next Spring, especially since we just saw Ezekiel Elliott go inside the top five. Fournette's stock could suffer because of the depth of this class, however. I was surprised to see only one more running back (Nick Chubb at No. 25) land on Kiper's board. Dalvin Cook, Christian McCaffrey, Samaje Perine, Jalen Hurd, Royce Freeman and Wayne Gallman could all realistically challenge for a first round pick next season.
- Only two quarterbacks crack Mel's top 25 with Deshaun Watson at 4 and Brad Kaaya at 13. I fully expect Watson to be the target of this class as teams desperately try to find their franchise leader.
- Three cornerbacks -- a position I think we can all agree that the Titans will be targeting next year -- land in Kiper's top 15. Four land in the top 20. Guys like Jalon Tabor, Adoree Jackson, Jourdan Lewis, Sidney Jones, Cam Sutton and Desmond King are names you'll need to know going forward.