Jon Robinson delivered his first NFL Combine presser as the Titans' General Manager today in Indianapolis, shedding some light on a few burning questions that we've had so far in the offseason process. Mike Mularkey came to the podium after, answering a few roster questions. Here are a few of the main takeaways.
- Robinson stated that Taylor Lewan is the left tackle "for now." He noted that he was very proud of that, but also stated that Lewan has the ability to move to the right side if the opportunity presented itself. This is pretty much what we all thought was the case, but it's nice to hear the GM say it publicly. Said later that pass rushers are now elite on both sides of the lines.
- Robinson said that they are considering a "handful" of players at number one overall. Said that the pick must be an impact player.
- Robinson said that Jalen Ramsey is a unique player because of his versatility.
- He noted the depth of the offensive line, defensive line and wide receiver. Said he would focus on draft strategy after pro days were finished. Also noted that figuring out other teams' needs were a part of the process.
- Mularkey on Dorial Green-Beckham starting next year: "A lot of that will depend on Dorial." Notes that he was thrown into the fire last season.
- Mularkey said again that he expects Marcus Mariota to run more in 2016. Said that he will have designed runs ready.
- Mularkey noted that he wants to simplify the terminology. Said that Mariota struggled at times calling plays in the huddle.
- Noted that Brian Schwenke's injury history is a concern, didn't rule out pursuing a veteran center.
- Jeremiah Poutasi will compete at guard in 2016.
- Mularkey kept his options open, saying they weren't focusing on offense or defense, looking to add to all phases right now. Said free agency wouldn't tip their hand regarding the draft.
Pretty vanilla stuff all the way around from both Robinson and Mularkey today. My biggest takeaway was Robinson's openness to moving Taylor Lewan to the right side. Everything he's said so far seems to be pointing directly at Ole Miss left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The theme of this offseason seems to be protecting Marcus Mariota -- it's brought up every single time Robinson or Mularkey speak. That should give you an idea of the investments that will be made this offseason.