The rest of the nation might be laughing at this game tonight, but not us here at MCM or the folks over at Big Cat Country. Speaking of BCC, Ryan Day was nice enough to answer 5 questions about the Jaguars for us.
1. Blake Bortles is struggling. What is going on with him?
Pretty much everything is going wrong with Blake Bortles this year. His mechanics and decision-making have regressed, his coaches are in a lame duck year, his receivers are failing him, and his running game is probably the worst in the league. He's bad and everyone around him is bad. It's not a good combination. How does he get better? If it didn't happen during the bye week earlier in the season then it's not going to happen this year. He's at a crossroads and if he doesn't improve next year, I think the Jaguars start scouting quarterbacks in the 2018 NFL Draft.
2. How hot is Gus Bradley's seat?
Not as hot as it should be. Shad Khan held a rare meeting with players and coaches earlier in the week to figure out what was up, but I'm of the mindset that Gus Bradley just needs to be fired -- not asked questions of. He should have been fired at the end of last season because every week he stays is detrimental to this team long-term. He's not a good coach and he's not fostering a culture of accountability in his locker room. He needs to go in a big way.
3. Jalen Ramsey is a guy that I really loved in the process leading up to the draft. From everything I am seeing it looks like he is developing into a shutdown corner. Talk about what you have seen from him this year. Just how good can he be?
He can be All-Pro good -- and honestly, I think he's already playing up to that level. He needs to be more consistent, however. He hasn't been exposed as much as he probably should have because he hasn't played top-tier quarterbacks yet who will take advantage of when he slips up against his man. His biggest test was Alshon Jeffrey and after a first half where he was dominated, he came back and shut him down in Chicago. In short, he's a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate and to do that in Jacksonville is pretty special.
4. Another guy I loved, Dante Fowler, missed his entire rookie year with an ACL injury. He only has 2 sacks this season. What have you seen from him so far? Is he still working on getting the knee right or is there something else going on?
He's just not that good. He was overdrafted. He should have been a second round guy and he won't get a second contract in Jacksonville -- not because he can't be productive here but because he'll want crazy top-five pick money and someone will give it to him thinking they can coach and scheme more out of him. The fact of the matter is our defensive coordinator Todd Wash isn't that bad so I think what you've seen is what you'll get out of Fowler.
5. Obligatory fantasy football question: What's happening with Allen Robinson? Are his struggles a direct result of Bortles' struggles, or is there something else going on there?
I have no idea what is going on with Allen Robinson. Some of it is tied to Blake Bortles, but a lot of it is mental. Robinson is dropping passes every week that hit him in the numbers. He's letting catchable balls go straight through his fingertips and it's weird to see. I wish I had a better answer. Maybe he's struggling with being double-teamed and that's the next step in his development. I don't know.