1: "When David Cobb comes back later in the year he'll have fresh legs and be able to help them even more."
- Said by a well-meaning, but ultimately naive youngster whose future as a Titans fan is more tied to Mariota than he realizes.
Missing the first half of his rookie season creates rust, not "Fresh Legs" for David Cobb.. It's not overly pessimistic to acknowledge that his current injury status is a setback. Cobb carried a heavy load in 2014 (315 carries, 16 receptions), but he only carried the ball 563 times during his four year career at Minnesota. I have a hard time seeing those numbers and buying that Cobb could benefit from a long stretch on the sideline.
Instead, I'd plan on Cobb requiring a couple of weeks to get back in the flow once he's activated on Week 9
2: "The Titans are crazy for only carrying 4 WRs on the roster! Especially when two of them have essentially proven nothing in the NFL!"
- Said by some frat bros pedaling those awful bicycle pub things that have overrun downtown Nashville.
Ugh. I can't fault the logic, but here's a little secret: positional assignments are really an arbitrary designation. The real concern here, IMO, is how this might limit us down the field. Outside of that, most of the routes the 5th or 6th WR would run are short-to-intermediate routes, and I trust our non-WR pass catchers (Walker, Fasano, Coffman, Stevens, McCluster... even Sankey and Fowler) more there anyways.
We may only have 4 WRs, but Mariota has a TON of reliable options that can line up all over the field and keep the chains moving.
3: "The Titans are playing on Sunday?"
- Said by... well I heard it a couple of times, which say more than any attribution could communicate.
It's no surprise that a
noon 3:25 pm away game against an NFC team that hasn't moved the needle since Gruden was busy burying Keshawn Johnson on the bench, and part of me would like to imagine that it shows some fan maturity not to put too emphasis on Mariota vs. Winston...
BUT IT'S FOOTBALL! REAL EFFIN' FOOTBALL BEING PLAYED BY THE GREATEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD (not some 20-year old with a meal ticket and a ballroom dancing class), AND IT'S FOR KEEPS! HOW DARE YOU FORGET ABOUT:
- OUR TENNESSEE TITANS
- THE BEGINNING OF THE ERA OF SUPER MARIOTA
- THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF THE GREATEST DEFENSIVE COACH IN NFL HISTORY PROWLING THE SIDELINES
- TAYLOR LEWAN.... TAYLOR FREAKING LEWAN!!!!
Sirs and Mams, if that doesn't get your blood pumping, then get on your pedal tavern and ride on out of town. Because it's Titans Time!