The Titans have three options with this pick: (1) take Mariota (or Winston if Tampa takes Mariota No. 1); (2) take the best player in the draft in Williams, who is also a great fit in Tennessee's hybrid 3-4 defensive scheme; (3) accept an offer to trade down if they get a good one while on the clock. I've got them going with option 2, in part because I'm not sure Mariota's skill set is what head coach Ken Whisenhunt is looking for from his quarterback (he's had success with prototypical pocket passers in his career). Williams is an athletic, versatile and productive difference-maker who could be a Richard Seymour type at the next level as a 5-technique defensive end. If the Titans aren't going to draft a quarterback to match points with Luck and the Colts, they better get an impact defender who can help slow them down. Williams is that.
I still like Dante Fowler here, but McShay's logic is good.
More from Music City Miracles
- Tennessee Titans News Links: Paul Knows
- Between the Posts: What's on the Dez Bryant Video
- MCM Radio: The Scouting Combine Recap and Tennessee Titans News
- Green Bay Packers Release A.J. Hawk; Should the Titans Be Interested?
- NFL Draft 2015: Greg Cosell on Dante Fowler, Leonard Williams and Randy Gregory