Marcus Mariota has been named the NFL offensive rookie of the month for September. This should come as no surprise considering the crazy numbers he has put up in his first 3 starts....and those are just his first 3 starts. Things are going to continue to get better from here.
Here is the release from the NFL:
OFFENSE: QB MARCUS MARIOTA, TENNESSEE TITANS
· Mariota, the second overall selection in the 2015 NFL Draft out of Oregon, led all rookies in passing yards (833), touchdown passes (eight) and passer rating (109.2).
· His eight touchdown passes are tied for the most of any player in his first three games in NFL history (MARK RYPIEN) and tied for fourth-most in the league this season.
· Mariota passed for at least 200 yards and two touchdowns in all three games this month, and his 109.2 passer rating is the second-highest of any rookie quarterback through Week 3 (GREG COOK).
· Mariota became the first rookie in NFL history to post a 158.3 passer rating on Kickoff Weekend, the highest attainable mark, as he passed for 209 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in the Titans' 42-14 win at Tampa Bay.
· In Week 2, he passed for 257 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions for a 96.3 rating at Cleveland followed by a 367-yard performance with two TDs against Indianapolis in Week 3.
· Mariota is the third Titan to be named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month, joining running backs EDDIE GEORGE (September 1996) and CHRIS JOHNSON (September 2008).
· He is the first Titans quarterback to be named Offensive Rookie of the Month.