Miami (FL) Hurricanes at Virginia Tech Hokies 8 PM ESPN
- These two former Big East rivals renew acquaintances once more in a very muddled ACC Coastal division. Both teams have had some signature games this year but have been struggling for the most part. Miami traveled to Nebraska and was thoroughly dominated in a box score deceives the eyes type of game. The Hokies upset Ohio State on the road and promptly lost to ACC killer East Carolina at home the following week. Who will win between The Tie and Beamerball you ask? I'd say the Fighting BonzosHokies in a close one, 27-24. Also, there is a Titans connection in this game as former MCM favorite Colin McCarthy played for the Canes and Vincent Fuller (brother of Kyle, Corey, and Kendall) played for the Hokies.
Matchup to watch:
Miami WR Stacy Coley (#3) vs VT CB Kendall Fuller (#11)
Miami prospects to watch:
1. Denzel Perryman ILB 5'11 242
- Perryman is one of the best inside linebackers in this class. He's a big hitter with a nose for the football. A good athlete that can cover fleet footed slot receivers and is almost impossible to block due to his instincts and strength. He also has the talent to play outside 'backer as well but is better suited inside. Would I take him on the Titans? Yes. He can pair with AJ Williamson inside and move Wesley Woodyard outside where his freelancing might be better utilized.
2. Anthony Chickillo DE 6'4 277
- Chickillo is a bigger body defensive end that the 3-4 defense usually looks for. He started as a freshman and hasn't looked back. Possesses a high motor, a strong base, good run defense instincts, and some pass rush moves. The biggest knock is that he needs to work on his counter moves once the tackle mirrors his initial pass rush. Would I take him on the Titans? Yes if he was available in the fourth round or later.
3. Duke Johnson RB 5'9 206
- Johnson is the east coast version of current Titan Bishop Sankey. Both are/were undersized, has good enough athleticism to make you miss, and was the focal point of the offense. However, Duke has a scary injury history and a monster workload that led to missing time. He broke his ankle against FSU in 2013 after getting over 100 carries the three games prior. Had the potential to be Todd Gurley lite but the Canes are down and his injury red flags.
Virginia Tech prospects to watch
1. Luther Maddy DT 6'0 295
- A poor man's Jurrell Casey if you will. He's a traditional pass rushing defensive tackle with a decent amount of agility. His strong base and subsequent pass rush moves/run defense compare favorably to DaQuan Jones. I like him as a third round prospect.
2. David Wang C/G 6'2 298
- Wang isn't the greatest athlete playing on the line out there but possesses great intelligence and is very consistent. Converted from defensive tackle his freshman season. A strong work ethic as he is working on a third degree after already graduating with degrees in marketing and management. Brother Ed was a former Hokie and played in the NFL, most recently with the Eagles in 2013.