I will say this, I feel a lot better after the first two preseason games this year than I did last year. I know the preseason means nothing, but this team looks a lot more focused than the one did last year that was supposed to be a Super Bowl contender. Here are some quick observations from tonight's game. Much more tomorrow.
- Vince Young and the first team offense looked crisp again. VY missed some throws, but that throw to Craig Stevens was beautiful.
- The first team defensive line was getting after it. They didn't get a sack, but they knocked down Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson all night long.
- Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson are terrible.
- Damian Williams looked comfortable as a return man and caught a lot of passes. Gramsey texted me at one point that he had outplayed Kenny Britt so far. I had to agree. I am sure he won't see the field as a receiver this year, but you have to feel good about him in the future.
- Lavelle Hawkins keeps making plays. That hurdle was awesome.
- Marc Mariani is going to make this team. He looks good covering kicks, returning kicks and as a receiver. Could this finally be the year we rid ourselves of Paul Williams.
- They called Jared Cook's name a couple of times. That is always a bonus.
- LeGarrette Blount ran the ball like a man on a mission. He showed a lot more power tonight than he did against the Seahawks.
Preseason records don't mean anything, but a win is always better than a loss. We will have much more on this game tomorrow. Let me know anything of importance that I missed.