Last weekend was the first weekend of the past 3 that has gone the way the Titans needed it too. The Titans won and the Jaguars and Browns both lost. That means that the Titans moved into a tie with the Browns and are only 1 game back of the Jaguars.
The Titans still need to go 3-1 down the stretch to have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. They face probably their toughest remaining game this weekend against the Chargers. I think this game is tougher than the Colts game for 2 reasons:
- The Titans, for whatever reason, seem to match-up really well with the Colts. They have not matched-up well with the Chargers historically. The Titans have lost the last 2 meetings by a combined score of 78-24. (of course both of those games were in San Diego)
- There is a good chance the Colts will already have the #2 seed secured with no shot at the #1 seed. That means they won't be playing for anything and should rest most of their players.
The Browns still have the easiest schedule on paper of the 3 teams. They play at the Jets this weekend, at home against Buffalo in week 15, at Cincinnati in week 16 and San Francisco at home in week 17. Only one of those teams, the Bills, is still playing for a shot at the playoffs.
The Jaguars play at home against Carolina this weekend, at Pittsburgh in week 15, at home against Oakland in 16, and at Houston in week 17. There is a pretty good chance they will only lose 1 of those games.
The Bills still have a shot at the playoffs, but they will need to win the rest of their games. They play Miami at home this weekend, at Cleveland in week 15, at home against the Giants in week 16, and at Philadelphia in week 17. There are 3 tough games in that stretch.
FYI via Paul Kuharsky here are the playoff tiebreakers:
- Head-to-head, if applicable.
- Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
- Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
- Strength of victory.
- Strength of schedule.
- Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
- Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
- Best net points in conference games.
- Best net points in all games.
- Best net touchdowns in all games.
- Coin toss.
There are the scenarios, for what they're worth.