After last week's ho hum, nothing to see here action, this week brings the fire back with several high profile games on the schedule. The fun starts on Friday and doesn't end until wee hours of Sunday morning. Let's begin with an underrated Friday game.
Friday September 27
Utah State at San Jose State 9 PM ESPN
- A battle between two top draft eligible quarterbacks headlines this game. Utah State's Chuckie Keeton meets SJSU's David Fales in what should be a high scoring affair. Fales is a high riser in this year's class while Keeton is an underrated commodity that put himself on the map last year.
Saturday September 28
(11) Oklahoma State at West Virginia NOON ESPN
- We get our first look at WVU post Geno in a eminently winnable Big 12 this year. After some struggles finding a QB, HC Dana Holgerson has named former FSU QB Clint Trickett his starter. Trickett had some good cameo appearances against Oklahoma and Clemson in 2011 replacing current Buffalo Bill EJ Manuel after injury. Oklahoma State opens its Big 12 campaign as well after a dominant 2013 debut victory against Mississippi State and two other cupcakes.
Matchup to watch: Trickett vs Okie State's CB Justin Gilbert
(15) Miami at South Florida NOON ESPNU
- The high flying Hurricanes travel to Tampa to take on a struggling 0-3 Bulls team. The Canes won last year 40-9 and this year promises to be the same type of beating. Miami features sophomore stud RB Duke Johnson and senior QB Stephen Morris will try to come back from a nasty looking ankle injury suffered last week in the 77-7 whipping of Savannah State.
Matchup to watch: Miami OT Seantrel Henderson vs USF DE Aaron Lynch
(6) LSU at (9) Georgia 3:30 PM CBS
- The Tigers travel to Athens after a perfunctory and sweet win against Auburn last week. Many scouts will be in attendance in this one as both sides have a lot of pro ready players. The Bulldogs have serious questions to answer for after letting North Texas hang around last week. Can the high scoring Tigers take advantage of a suspect Dogs D? Can UGA senior QB Aaron Murray keep up to match score for score? Are there any more people who don't believe UGA sophomore RB Todd Gurley is a man amongst boys?
Matchups to watch:
UGA OL vs LSU's monster DL, namely Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson
LSU WRs Odell Beckham, Jr and Jarvis Landry vs UGA CB Damian Swann
UGA's WR trio vs LSU S Craig Loston and company
(14) Oklahoma at (22) Notre Dame 3:30 PM NBC
- The Sooners and the "Belldozer", junior QB Blake Bell head to South Bend to snap a 1-9 streak vs Notre Dame. Bell was finally named the starter after being the goal line specialist for a number of years. Notre Dame counters with DT Louis Nix and DE Stephon Tuitt. The Irish feature a big play WR in senior Davaris Daniels who relentlessly torched the Spartans last week. Senior QB Tommy Rees has been a revelation in reclamation so far in 2013.
(21) Ole Miss at (1) Alabama 6:30 PM ESPN
- The battle to be the next University of Texas head football coach commences in Tuscaloosa (just kidding, SuperHorn, maybe?). Jokes aside, can the inexperienced but talented Rebels go on the road to beat a "suddenly suspect" Alabama? Ole Miss has a cadre of outstanding freshmen including the likes of #1 overall recruit DE Robert Ndemchike. Alabama's OL is showing signs that they may have lost too much to the pros to sufficiently recover for this year. Bama WRs Amari Cooper and Christion Jones form a potent duo that QB AJ McCarron can throw to on any given down.
Matchups to watch:
Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief vs Bama CB Deion Belue and S Haha Clinton-Dix
Ole Miss OL vs Bama's talented LB factory, including CJ Mosley and Adrian Hubbard
(10) Texas A&M at Arkansas 7 PM ESPN2
- Who will win the media war between controversy machines Johnny Football and Arky HC Bret Bielema? Can the Aggies go 0-SEC West to kick off 2013? A&M continues its SEC tour in Fayetteville after licking its wounds in the thrilling Bama loss against SMU last week. Aggies WR Mike Evans is possibly the best receiver in the class, if not in the discussion as top 3. His coming out party was against Bama, making all kinds of circus catches to the tune of over 200 yards and 3 TDs.
(23) Wisconsin at (4) Ohio State 8 PM ABC
- Heisman contender Buckeyes QB Braxton Miller returns after sitting out for 2 games due to a knee injury. The newest superstar Badgers RB, Melvin Gordon will have a good test against a loaded defense featuring the likes of LB Ryan Shazier and CB Bradley Roby.
Matchup to watch:
Badgers WR Jared Abbrederis vs Buckeyes CB Bradley Roby
USC at Arizona State 10:30 PM ESPN2
- Two pretenders to the Pac-12 South throne square off in the nightcap. Arizona State was badly exposed as a team with no defense last week against Stanford. USC meanwhile, struggled with Utah State despite the talent gap being what it is. Can an USC QB show up this week to finally take the job for good? WR Marqise Lee needs one. Badly. This game should be entertaining at least as we transition into Sunday versus the J E T S JETS JETS JETS