After a whirlwind first two weeks of the college football season, Week 3 brings a calm to the early schedule but the afternoon and night games crank up the action. We begin with a potential scoreboard breaking Friday game.
Friday September 20
Boise State at Fresno State 9 PM ESPN
- Fresno State gets a home game against a reeling Broncos team that was shellacked by a Washington team in week 1. While Boise State is clearly trying to rebuild after a successful run in the mid to late 2000s, Fresno State features one of the top 2014 QB prospects in senior Derek Carr. The last name might be familiar to football fans as he's David's younger brother.
North Carolina at Georgia Tech NOON ESPN
- Two ACC rivals with vastly different offensive philosophies face off in Atlanta on Saturday. Old school option vs the new age Fun and Gun. This game should provide another test for fast rising Heels OT James Hurst in the form of Yellow Jackets DE/OLB Jeremiah Attaochu. Hurst is quickly rising up the boards after virtually shutting down Jadaveon Clowney in the Heels' loss during week 1. Attaochu is an underrated linebacker prospect that can play defensive end but might be better suited at 'backer due to his size (6'2 240+).
San Jose State at Minnesota NOON ESPN2
- SJSU features one of the top passers in the draft class in David Fales, who led all of Division 1 in accuracy last year. Fales is projected to be a early pick, possibly getting into the first round as of right now. Minnesota should provide a stiff test for Fales but not as stringent of one like he faced in Stanford. Best wishes go out to Gophers HC Jerry Kill as he continues to recover from his most recent seizure episode.
Michigan State at (22) Notre Dame 3:30 PM NBC
- Can the Spartans make the Irish 0 for 2013 against teams from the state of Michigan? This game has been a classic series as of late with both teams stealing last minute road wins from each other. A resurgent Irish QB Tommy Rees makes this game interesting once again.
Matchup to watch: Irish WR Davaris Daniels vs Spartans CB Darqueze Dennard
Tennessee at (19) Florida 3:30 PM CBS
- The Volunteers travel to Gainesville a week after getting the expected spanking at Oregon. Can they bounce back in time for the hated Gators? Florida itself is smarting after an unexpected loss to the rival Hurricanes. QB Justin Worley continues to get his baptism by fire against another loaded secondary, this time against CBs Louchiez Purifoy and Marcus Roberson.
Matchup(s) to watch:
Vols OT Tiny Richardson vs Gators DL Ronald Powell and Dominique Easley
Gators OT Chaz Green and Tyler Moore vs Vols DL Daniel Hood and Daniel McCullers
Utah State at USC 3:30 PM ESPN2/ABC
- This should be an entertaining game provided whoever the USC QB is decides to show up. Utah State has one of my favorite QBs in the class in Chuckie Keeton. He's fun to watch every week. USC's strength if there was one is in its DE depth chart.
USC prospects: DE/LB Morgan Breslin, DE George Uko, S Dion Bailey, DE JR Tavai, TE Xavier Grimble, WR Marqise Lee
(23) Arizona State at (5) Stanford 7 PM FOX
- ASU takes on Stanford after one of the most bizarre endings that you can ever see happened last week. Seriously, go look it up. Another one of those games where cultures clash when ASU's "mini Oregon" warp speed offense takes on plodding Stanford. The Cardinal defense is led by two senior LBs in Trent Murphy and Shayne Skov. The Sun Devils also have a defensive superstar to counter in DL Will Sutton.
Auburn at (6) LSU 7:45 PM ESPN
- Who knew LSU had an explosive offense to match its always steady defense? New OC Cam Cameron has worked wonders for the Tigers supposed offensive misgivings. Will the Bayou Bengals be caught looking ahead to next week's date with Georgia? LSU has a deep and talented stable of defensive linemen starting with Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson. S Craig Loston returns as the veteran presence among the youthful secondary. The human battering ram FB J.C Copeland is one big boy coming in at 6'1 270. He leads the way for a traditional LSU staple of having multiple backs. We will find out a lot about Auburn's 3-0 start in this game. Side note: Two former UGA QBs square off in this one with Auburn having Nick Marshall and LSU starting Zach Mettenberger.
Kansas State at Texas 8 PM ABC
- Will the best coach in America (I'm sorry Nick Saban but it's A L A B A M A you're at, not some podunk Division 2 school) continue his hex on the reeling Longhorns? Bill Snyder has worked miracles for KSU in his two stints there. Can the rebuilding Wildcats put the Horns out of their misery and end whatever delusional thoughts Mack Brown had for winning the Big 12?