Week 6 is here with another load of interesting games between Top 25 teams mixed in with a few cupcakes. The action gets really hard hitting during the night games. As of this writing, the service academy games will go on as scheduled despite the government shutdown that occurred this week. Let's begin with a surprising top 25 team and a consistent heavyweight!
Saturday October 5
(25) Maryland at (8) Florida State NOON ESPN
- An undefeated Maryland team travels to Tallahassee to see what all the Famous Jameis fuss is about in person. Florida State's defense has been a marked disappointment so far this year as they replace a defensive coordinator along with several draft picks and graduations. However, there's still pro ready made talent on the depth chart. For the Seminoles, CB/S LaMarcus Joyner and LB Christian Jones anchor the defense as big time senior hitters. Jones has transitioned to MLB very well. He's a freak athlete who can blitz from anywhere in the mold of Troy Polamalu. Junior DT Timmy Jernigan leads the rebuilding defensive line. On the Maryland side, keep an eye out for 2015 draft eligible WR Stefan Diggs. He's one of the nation's best receivers already as a true sophomore despite being on a horrible team last year.
North Carolina at Virginia Tech 12:30 PM ESPN3
- The ACC Coastal division begins to sort itself out this week with a battle between the always dressed to depress Heels and Hokies. North Carolina is coming off a blowout loss to instate "rival" East Carolina (which happens to be one Chris Johnson's school) while Virginia Tech actually won in the city of Atlanta on last Thursday against Ga Tech. Side note: Both teams had East Carolina on the schedule.
UNC prospect to watch: OT James Hurst
VT prospect to watch: CB/S Antone Exum
(6) Georgia at Tennessee 3:30 PM CBS
- The Bulldogs, coming off a huge win in Athens vs LSU, travel to Neyland this week in a classic "letdown" game. After a brutal start to the schedule, the Dogs can relax vs the Volunteers. Can the Dawgs avoid the trap game and beat an inferior team on the road? Despite the talent gap, both teams have pro ready talent.
Matchups to watch:
UGA LB Jordan Jenkins vs Vols OT Antonio Richardson
Vols' DL Daniel brothers, Hood and McCullers vs UGA OL Ken Gates
UGA CB Damian Swann vs Vols WR Marquez North
Vols RB Marlin Lane vs UGA LB Amarlo Herrera
(10) LSU at Mississippi State 7 PM ESPN
- Can the Tigers bounce back after a tough loss last week? Who will play quarterback for Miss State? A potential reclamation story duel is in the offing with LSU's Zach Mettenberger vs Tyler Russell (if he can come back from a concussion).
TCU at (11) Oklahoma 7 PM Fox
- A traditionally pesky Horned Frogs team travels to Norman to see the 9th wonder of the world, the "Belldozer". Blake Bell had a good debut last week against Notre Dame in a oh so close "blowout" win.
Arkansas at (18) Florida 7 PM ESPN2
- Can freshman sensation RB Alex Collins and Arkansas lick their wounds in a resounding beating from Johnny Football in time to beat the Gators in the Swamp? Florida comes limping into this contest as stud DL Dominique Easley is done for the year with an ACL tear. Easley has said this week that he will turn pro despite his injury.
(22) Arizona State at Notre Dame 7:30 PM NBC
- Can the Sun Devils continue the momentum against the Irish after such a resounding victory over the reeling Trojans? Can the Irish and big play WR Davaris Daniels put up the offensive fireworks to keep pace with ASU? This is a neutral site game that will be played at Jerry World.
Matchups to watch:
ASU DL Will Sutton vs Notre Dame OT Zach Martin
Notre Dame DL twins, DT Louis Nix and DE Stephon Tuitt vs ASU RB/WR Mike Grice
(4) Ohio State at (16) Northwestern 8 PM ABC
- Buckeyes QB Braxton Miller proved that rust isn't a factor last week in a close win over the Badgers. Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald gets a chance in prime time to boost his already sterling coaching prospects against Urban Meyer. Will he leave for the greener pastures in Los Angeles or Austin, Texas, though? Fitzgerald, much like Mike Munchak is a lifer within his organization.
Matchups to watch:
NW RB Treyvon Green vs Buckeyes OLB Ryan Shazier
NW's two headed QB monster vs Buckeyes CB Bradley Roby
West Virginia at (17) Baylor 8 PM Fox Sports 1
- I certainly hope the scoreboard operator is well rested for this grudge match. West Virgina is coming off a high scoring upset win over Oklahoma State last week. Baylor has scored at least 69 points in every game this year so far. Could this be the winner gets to be the next head coach at Texas game this week. Both Dana Holgerson and Art Briles have been bandied about as potential replacements for Mack Brown. Working in Holgy's favor is that his AD, Oliver Luck (you know who's dad and former Oiler) is the leading candidate to take the vacant AD job at Texas.
(15) Washington at (5) Stanford 10:30 PM ESPN
- What a great way to cap the college action with a top 15 matchup. Can the upstart Huskies beat the vaunted Cardinal in Palo Alto? Both coaches may be in the race for the now open USC job.
Washington prospects: QB Keith Price (Jake Locker's heir apparent), RB Bishop Sankey, TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, WR Kasen Williams, LB Shaq Thompson
Stanford prospects: DE Trent Murphy, LB Shayne Skov, QB Kevin Hogan, RB Tyler Gaffney, S Ed Reynolds, DE Aziz Shittu (2015)