After a brief hiatus, the Fan Guide is back with another edition! This week features an epic showdown and a host of other underrated games that could be very good. Let's begin with a Friday match worth watching because of two top draft eligible quarterbacks.
Friday October 18
UCF at (8) Louisville 8 PM ESPN
- A duel between two top draft eligible quarterbacks. Everyone knows about Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater but he faces a stiff challenge from high riser in UCF QB Blake Bortles. He has led the Golden Knights to a 4-1 record with the only loss being to South Carolina. Bridgewater struggled against a lowly Rutgers team last Thursday night but is still on track to become the top QB taken in the 2014 draft
Saturday October 19
(11) South Carolina at Tennessee NOON ESPN
- The Jadaveon Clowney show travels to Knoxville in this SEC East battle. South Carolina has two QBs it can turn to in Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson. Clowney's stock this year has taken some hits due to injury and ineffectiveness. The perception about him is that he's taking the year off to preserve his health ala Julius Peppers. This game is billed to be Vols OT Antonio Richardson's Super Bowl. A good game here can send his already high stock even further.
Matchups to watch:
Richardson vs Clowney
USC RB Mike Davis vs Vols LB AJ Johnson
(15) Georgia at Vanderbilt NOON CBS
- Can the reeling Bulldogs pull their MASH unit of an offense together in time to face the pesky Commodores? August's beloved 'Dores have a good chance to pull off the "upset" due to Georgia's inability to stop anyone. Can they stop Heisman candidate QB Aaron Murray though? Murray deserves an award for taking the Dogs as far as he has with all the injuries through a brutal schedule.
Matchups to watch:
Vandy WR Jordan Matthews vs UGA CB Damian Swann
(24) Auburn at (7) Texas A&M 3:30 PM CBS
- The Tigers will attempt to do what no other team this year has successfully done: Stop Johnny Manziel. Ole Miss had their shot last week and knocked him out for a brief period with a knee injury. Will we see another SEC shootout? Auburn is missing their star JUCO QB Nick Marshall (yet another UGA recruit who transferred to the SEC West). Texas A&M has an outstanding receiver in likely Biletnikoff favorite Mike Evans. He has the ideal size and speed to be a future number 1 receiver in the NFL.
(9) UCLA at (13) Stanford 3:30 PM ABC/ESPN2
- A preview of the Pac-12 title game, perhaps? Stanford's hopes took a serious hit after a shock upset loss to Utah last week. Mora Junior has the Bruins rolling in his second season.This game also features another 2014 draft eligible QB duel between UCLA's Brett Hundley and Stanford's Kevin Hogan. Another must watch factor: a battle of top pass rusher duos.
UCLA prospects to watch: Hundley, WR Shaq Evans, DE/OLB Anthony Barr, DE Cassius Marsh
Stanford prospects to watch: DE Trent Murphy, LB Shayne Skov, QB Kevin Hogan, RB Tyler Gaffney, S Ed Reynolds, DE Aziz Shittu (2015)
(6) LSU at Ole Miss 7 PM ESPN2
- Another week, another SEC West battle. Can Ole Miss and their talented crop of freshmen stop the high powered Tigers offense?
LSU prospects to watch: DL Ego Ferguson, QB Zach Mettenberger, WR Jarvis Landry, WR Odell Beckham, Jr, S Craig Loston, DL Anthony Johnson
Ole Miss prospects to watch: QB Bo Wallace, WR Donte Moncrief, DE Robert N. (2016)
(5) Florida State at (3) Clemson 8 PM ABC *College Gameday location*
- The latest edition of the FSU-Clemson rivalry is a top 5 battle. Can a redshirt freshman quarterback lead the Noles into Death Valley and come out with a win? Can Clemson QB Tajh Boyd boost his already high draft stock against a rebuilding Noles defense? Scouts will be attending this game in droves thanks to the impressively amassed talent both sides. A national audience will get a first look at the much hyped redshirt freshman sensation QB "Famous" Jameis Winston. Can he add to his already impressive highlight reel against a underrated stingy Clemson D? A rebuilding Seminoles defense makes them ripe for the picking for 5th year senior Boyd and WR Sammy Watkins. Is Clemson ready for their "Super Bowl" after almost being caught looking ahead by Boston College last week? How many times will the announcers remind us that Nick O'Leary is the grandson of golf legend Jack Nicklaus?
FSU prospects to watch: QB Jameis Winston (2015), DL Timmy Jernigan, LB Christian Jones, CB/S Lamarcus Joyner, RB/S Karlos Williams, WR Kelvin Benjamin, RB Devonta Freeman, RB James Wilder Jr, LB Telvin Smith, TE Nick O'Leary, OL Cam Erving, WR Rashad Greene, WR Kenny Shaw, OL Bryan Stork
Clemson prospects to watch: QB Tajh Boyd, WR Sammy Watkins, WR Martavis Bryant, DE Vic Beasley, LB Tony Steward