If you're only able to watch one preseason game then it's no secret that the third is the one to see. Starters play for a decent amount of time, and our offensive starters played in to third quarter as promised. There were positives and negatives to take away from the game, but fortunately the positives heavily outweighed the negatives.
1. This Jake Locker guy could be pretty good. He still has a few of those darn accuracy issues that Trent Dilfer described at length. But what excited me the most was the big boy decisions he's making, from the pump fake to the decision to change the play call on Wright's TD. If you haven't read SuperHorn's article on that play, you're missing out. Locker will probably make some stupid decisions this season on the field, but he'll do something the other #10 couldn't...he'll learn from those mistakes. Jake is an excellent face for the franchise, and he makes it so easy to root for him...and let's be honest, the guy has the face of an angel.
2. Collin McCarthy is the studliest of studs. Yes, yes we all know he just seems to be able to make plays, but my favorite thing about last night was McCarthy's energy. After every big play, you saw him screaming and celebrating or on his near pick you could see how pissed he was that he couldn't haul it in. All offseason I was worried about losing Finnegan. He brought energy and above all leadership to the team. I was afraid that his departure would have the same effect Bulluck's did. Bulluck was more than a great linebacker, he was a terrific leader that everyone else looked to to set the tone. When Keith left, the Titans had a hard time finding that leadership and the defensive performance suffered. Finnegan did a decent job but it still wasn't the same. My hope has been that somebody like a McCarthy or a Jason McCourty would be able to fill that role, and now I'm positive that big C-Mac will do just that.
3. CJ......well, his performance wasn't the worst, and it was better than week 1 but I think we all wanted a little more. Most of the time there wasn't anything there, but once again he was caught practicing ballet in the backfield for a no gainer or a 1 yard loss. There were a couple of decent runs, but I don't think any of us are confident that the run game is back (can we really not find a better option than Leroy???)
4. NinjaKam is gonna have a monster year. Yeah I know he was playing against the Leroy version of a tackle, but I'm still convinced his pass rushing skills are the real deal. The whole D-line just had an incredible energy, and it was great to see that energy in consecutive games. If Jerry Gray can continue to get that amount of excitement then we could have a very very solid defense. It looks like we'll be much improved from last year, which to be honest is a surprise to me.
5. And finally...LWSS...and get your act together Kenny Britt