July 28, 2012; Nashville, TN, USA; Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker (10) takes the snap during training camp at the Titans training facility at Baptist Sports Park. Mandatory Credit: Jim Brown-US PRESSWIRE
I got to catch the end of practice today. Here are my observations.
- Man, is it nice to see Chris Johnson out on the practice field. After missing all of last year's training camp, it is fun to watch him up close again. He went for a long touchdown on a Locker handoff, and had a handful of other nice CJ2K-style plays. He had a few drops, but it was fun to watch him run. I'm also a big fan of his new black-tinted visor. Reminds me of LT.
- Jake Locker started with the first team receivers today, while Matt Hasselbeck started with the second team. They switched later on in practice. Both Matt and Jake had plenty of good and bad moments, with Locker having slightly more good than bad ones. The race is still close.
- Kevin Matthews played first string center, with Amano going second string today. I'm not very good at analyzing how a center is playing, but I didn't see anything wrong while he was playing.
- Don't give Tommie Campbell the third CB position just yet. Ryan Mouton looked impressive after missing the entirety of last season with an Achilles injury. He picked off a Rusty Smith ball which was intended for James Kirkendoll, as well as a Hasselbeck ball intended for CJ. Every time he was in you could see him making a difference. Bet you didn't think you would read that when you woke up this morning.
- Lavelle Hawkins hurt his ankle, but according to Munchak, he could be fine in a few days. Other injuries at practice: Steve Hutchinson twisted his knee, and Ryan Durand dislocated his finger. They are both fine and finished practice.
- Munchak was not happy about so many dropped passes today, on the first day of camp in pads.
- Michael Griffin is a good man. By the end of the long, hot, one hour he spent signing autographs, he had been robbed of almost all of his clothes, down to just his shorts. He even gave away his socks, though I'm not sure why a fan would want those... He gave every kid he could find in attendance a glove or a cleat, even going back to the locker room to get more gear he had initially saved to wear next week.
- There's a lot of good stuff on Wyatt's blog, including reaction of Murdock's death from two of his closest friends, Jared Cook and Damian Williams.