I'm sorry guys, but we are not the best mockers. I'm not sure if this is a result of our drafting team being very secretive and hard to read or if it's us being very bad at this whole process. One thing I do know for sure- no one can ever predict a draft. There is always that one pick that throws everything off; i.e. Tim Tebow in 2010. I would like to point to all our mocks since 2007, after the jump.
(This is by no means a bashing/roasting towards Jommy, BBK, or any of the other drafters. It is just a stat I've found interesting)
In 2007, there was no MCM draft, but instead a SBN draft that Jimmy represented us. In that he took Robert Meachem, which is by no means a bad pick. But as shown here, he didn't even suspect the actual pick, Michael Griffin. Now that it's been five years, I am happy with this pick because I am happy with where we are now. But if we had taken Meachem, maybe Vunce would have panned out and taken us to the big game. OR, we could be in an absolutely awful situation right now.
In 2008, as we all know, Titans fans everywhere were shocked by the pick of our boy CJ2K. Now, we all love the pick, and the pick BBK, Philip Merling, has not lived up to ex[ecations as a 2nd rounder for the Dolphins, with 66 career tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 FRs, and 1 pick. Although the fumble recoveries and the interception that led them to the playoffs are really nice, those are not stats that I like for the 24th overall (that's what he would have been for us). But what if we had taken him? Would Washburn have been able to transform him into a Pro Bowler? Or would we have been stuck in a rut without a passing game or a running game?
In 2009, we were shocked again by drafting Kenny Britt. Below is the MCM mock draft, which correctly predicted three picks. Although I give credit that there were trades that couldn't have been accounted for in the Mock, it went downhill after not predicting Stafford #1, which is a mistake that was made in the mock by Jimmy and AW.
- Detroit- Jason Smith, OTAW, Baylor
- St. Louis- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
- Kansas City- B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
- Seattle- Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
- Cleveland- Brian Orakpu, DE, Texas
- Cincinnati- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
- Oakland- Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
- Jacksonville- Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
- Green Bay- Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
- San Francisco- Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
- Buffalo- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
- Denver- Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
- Washington- Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
- New Orleans- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
- Houston- Clay Matthews, LB, USC
- San Deigo- Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
- New York Jets- Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
- Chicago- Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
- Tampa Bay- Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
- Detroit- Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
- Philadelphia- Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State
- Minnesota- Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
- New England- Brian Cushing, LB, USC
- Atlanta- Connor Barwin, DE/LB, Cincinnati
- Miami- Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
- Baltimore- Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
- Indianapolis- Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
- Philadelphia Eagles- Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
- New York Giants- James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
- Tennessee Titans- Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
- Arizona Cardinals- LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Steelers- Alex Mack, C, California
Aaron Maybin was actually drafted 11th overall, 19 picks earlier than expected. Although he has done a great job of forcing five fumbles. However, only 6 sacks. Like I mentioned earlier, I wonder if Washburn could have transformed him into a Pro Bowler. But I am beyond satisfied with our boy who will hopefully help Jake with the LWSS campaign. But who could have predicted us taking a WR in the first round. Kenny is the first since passing on Randy. Also, everyone here was high on Percy Harvin. His production has been higher than Kenny's, but I think we- all prefer a pothead whose production has rose tremendously than the pothead who has migraine issues.
Then came 2010. MCM felt like a bunch of winners (because we are). We drafted a guy that we wanted that was expected to be off the board by #16- Derrick Morgan. Congratulations to Thunder64 for correctly guessing this pick in the mock. We finally drafted that DE that we've been projecting for the past couple years. He had a good three games before suffering an ACL injury that destroyed his pass rushing abilities in his sophomore year. But how many players have sophomore slumps? Plenty! So, we have nothing to worry about. I am confident that Morgan and Wimbley can put together some great numbers together this year.
Finally, 2011. We were expected to take Nick Fairley because Sunshine Gabbert was supposed to be taken by the Bills, Cards, 49ers, or the Bungals. It seemed inevitable. Or maybe Da'Quan Bowers who was taken in the MCM Mock that started way too early (January) because of the lockout of awesomeness. But we knew we needed a QB. Who were our top QB prospects? Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett. All three ended up being good picks in there respective spots. Dalton was our favorite... but we passed on him. The 8th pick came with Gabbert still on the board Bad News was to come.. We could see it now. But the Titans did what they do best- surprise draft pick. Thorchak took a major reach and nabbed Jake Locker from Washington University with the major accuracy problems. But the Titans staff knew who they wanted and pulled the trigger right there and then. Who's had more success so far, Jake or Andy? Andy. But Jake has the potential to be better. He is in an amazing situation right now to succeed as we followed the plan of sitting the rookie behind an experienced vet, who led the team to its first positive record since the 2008 season. It feels pretty great.
So, will the Titans repeat history and ignore the mock picks. What if Dre Kirkpatrick makes it to our pick and they reach for Harrison Smith? It wouldn't surprise me too much. But one thing I've learned from the past four drafts is that I trust our team. Whoever we take will help lead our team to he big game next.
Who are the Titans going to draft with the 20th overall pick?
Dre Kirkpatrick (0 votes)
Mark Barron (4 votes)
Dre Gilmore (3 votes)
Whitney Mercilus (14 votes)
Stephen Hill (10 votes)
Another highly mocked player (6 votes)
Total reach/surprise (10 votes)
47 total votes