OK gents. I acted as the Titans GM in a mock draft on the CBS forums over the past few days. Now I'm fairly sure the results are going to cause serious discontent in some quarters. I'll try to explain why I made the selections I did and then you can all comment on how badly I drafted. I'll also suggest who I would have picked now that I know where players went and if I couldn't keep the ones I made
It's very difficult to fit in 100+ words in this. So I'll just state for the record that I'm looking forward to seeing Jake Locker starting at some point this season, Kenny Britt staying healthy all year and CJ being back to his best. It doesn't matter how tough the schedule is - I think we can easily repeat last year's winning season and perhaps push on to 10+ wins and sweep the division! #LWSS!
OK, so now that's all out of the way:
- (20) Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - first pick and already divisive. I've looked into Kirkpatrick and I'm not overly concerned by his character. He's the best tackler in this CB class IMO and an excellent zone cover player. He should slot straight in alongside ATV and J-Mac. If I had the pick back I'd select site favourite Stephen Hill (he went 35th overall to the Vikings).
- (52) Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise St - another pick I'll no doubt be criticised for. This is probably me just being high on McClellin (I saw plenty of Boise St on ESPN this year for some reason) but I think he brings intriguing versatility having played at DE, OLB and ILB for the Broncos and has the motor and intangibles I love to see in a player. If I had the pick back I'd select DE Chandler Jones who I'm increasingly high on).
- (85) Mike Brewster, C, Ohio St - Traded down two spots to move up in the 6th and still got my man. With Konz and Ben Jones already off the board I thought it was about time to pick up a C. I wouldn't change this pick.
- (114) Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise St - More Boise State love. I wanted Cam Johnson at this spot but he went right before this pick. I think he projects well at the next level but he'll need time to become a starting DE. If I had the pick back I'd take OLB Danny Trevathan or the highest rated CB on the board.
- (155) Marcus Forston, DT, Miami - This time I'm taking size and athleticism. He's big and athletic but needs to learn to keep his pad level low - he also has some pretty big injury concerns - if they check out he's an intriguing late round guy. If I had the pick back I'd take Lucas Nix, OG out of Pitt.
- (187) Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese St - Going local on this one on a huge gamble. He has all the tools to play in the NFL, whether he has the mental ability to do so is in question. The Titans won't pick him, but I might. If I had the pick back I'd take Tony Dye out of UCLA - the more I read and see the more I like.
- (227) Jermaine Kearse, WR, Washington - This one is based purely on Jake Locker. When they played together it was clear Kearse was his favourite target and if he can sort out the drops he has intriguing measurables and had a great pro day. If I had the pick back I'd take a developmental lineman but can't really pick a name.