Virginia Tech at Miami (FL) Thursday (Miami W 30-12) - Miami leads the race for the ACC Coastal thanks to a win (and a Clemson whooping of Duke) over a VT team that just hasn't reloaded like Beamerball teams in the past. Logan Thomas is horrible and early returns on him being a first round pick are a load of fail by Kiper and McShay.
Mizzou at (7) Florida Saturday Noon ESPN2 (UF W 14-7) - This was a very ugly game by both sides. The Gators were lucky to escape with a win thanks to Mizzou QB James Franklin's severe inability to avoid throwing to the guys wearing the different colored jerseys. Mizzou DE Shelden Richardson had a good game though.
(16) Texas A&M at (15) Miss State Saturday Noon ESPN (A&M W 38-13) - The Aggies dominated the Bulldogs in the new uniform bowl. Miss State couldn't stop A&M at all during the first half. Aggies QB Johnny Manziel was all over the place as usual. This game amounted to a tuneup for A&M for next week's game against Bama.
Pittsburgh at (3) Notre Dame Saturday 3:30 pm NBC (ND W 29-26 3 OT) - A 3 OT thriller that featured turnovers and missed kicks. The Irish continue to be lucky escape artists once again when they fumbled the game winning TD in the 2nd OT, only to see the Pitt kicker miss on their try. Pittsburgh also choked the game away in regulation by allowing ND to tie it up in the late 4th 20-20 all from a lead of 20-12. Prospect Watch: Pitt RB Ray Graham stock is rising
Ole Miss at (6) Georgia Saturday 3:30 pm CBS (UGA W 37-10) - The Bulldogs woke up during the 2nd quarter after showing signs of a let down trap game after the huge win over the Gators last weekend. They pulled away in the 2nd half by running over a gassed Ole Miss defense. Prospect Watch: UGA's defense (Jones, Rambo, et. al) had a great game, doing nothing to hurt their stocks.
(23) Texas at (18) Texas Tech Saturday 3:30 pm ABC/ESPN2 (Texas W 31-22) - Somehow the much maligned Texas defense did just enough to shut down Texas Tech's vaunted aerial assault force. TT also had new uniforms today, Prospect watch: Stock up for defense.
(20) Nebraska at Michigan State Saturday 3:30 pm ABC/ESPN2 (Neb W 28-24) - Big 10 action that came down to the final minute. Michigan State RB Le'Veon Bell ran for 188 yards and 2 TDs on 36 carries. Stock: Holding firm.
(24) Oklahoma State at (2) Kansas State Saturday 8 pm ABC (KS W 44-30) - The locked door to Collin Klein's Heisman hopes may have opened slightly. He left with an undisclosed injury during the game.
Washington at Cal Friday 9 PM EST ESPN2 (Huskies W) - The duel turned out to be a one man show as Cal's Keenan Allen did not play due to an injury suffered last week. This game was full of derp. Turnovers galore in rapid succession in the 2nd half. Prospect Watch: CB Desmond Trufant stock is holding firm
Arizona State vs (11) Oregon State Saturday 10:30 PM ESPN2 (OSU W) - Both prospects I highlighted had relatively quiet games as Oregon State pulled away in the 2nd half from a spirited ASU squad.
(4) Oregon Ducks at (17) USC Trojans Saturday 7 PM EST FOX (Ducks W 62-51) - This was a shootout to the finish. Both teams combined for a whopping 1,300 total yards. If you love offense, this game was for you.The Ducks' 62 points and 700 total yards were the most USC has ever given up in school history.
RB Kenjon Barner #24 (SR) - Barner went off like crazy, setting numerous records in the process. He ran for over 300 yards and 5 TDs on 38 carries. The 38 carries proved to the world that he's capable of being the workhorse back. KB now has over 1,400 total yards of offense with potentially 5 games left on the schedule. Barner is in the thick of things in the Heisman race. Draft watch: Stock up.
DE Dion Jordan #96 (SR) - He was playing pretty well until he got injured in the 2nd half. Draft watch: Stock down.
LBs Michael Clay #46 and Kiko Alonso #47 (SRs)- The defense as a whole didn't have a good game obviously but Alonso made critical plays to stop the Trojans from scoring at will. Draft watch: Stocks holding.
QB Matt Barkley #7 (SR)- Barkley had an impressive game, showing his pocket awareness on numerous occasions and finding the right guys. He also had two really bad picks (one backed up deep in own territory, the other in end zone). Draft stock: Holding Firm
Defense - Yeah it was insanely turrible. Senior DE Wes Horton had somewhat of a limited impact, getting a sack and some pressures. S TJ McDonald had a horrible game, biting on multiple fakes and moves by Barner. I forgot to mention this but McDonald has impressive NFL bloodlines as his father is none other than the USC and 49er great S Tim McDonald.
Bonus game of the week:
(1) Alabama at (5) LSU Saturday 8 pm CBS - A classic knockdown, drag out, heavyweight fight between two SEC superpowers that went down to the final seconds. The battle of the star studded trenches was the key here. Alabama's OL had a slight advantage over LSU's vaunted DL. LSU had the game won until AJ McCarron led the Tide to a game winning screen pass TD to freshman sensation RB TJ Yeldon and proceeded to cry his eyes out like one Timothy Tebow on national TV. Bama is almost invincible and should roll to the title game with ease.