The recap to the fun that was Week 9 in college football is here! What an action packed Saturday it was. We had #2 UF, #7 Oregon State, #9 USC, #15 Rutgers, #24 Ohio, and #25 Wisconsin all upset.
(11) Mississippi State Bulldogs vs (1) Alabama Crimson Tide Saturday 8:30 pm EST ESPN
A ho hum, nothing to see here total domination that we're used to seeing for Bama. Seriously, will anyone stay within 30 of them in any game this year?
CB Johnthan Banks - Yeah, not a good game by the Miss State defense in general. Banks got burned twice for TDs in the 1st half. The 1st one was a deep bomb to a WR on a streak route. The second was to a wide open TE in the end zone where Banks looked like he was frozen solid. He holds steady as the third best draft eligible corner for now.
Tennessee vs (13) South Carolina Saturday Noon EST ESPN
OL Dallas Thomas - He did nothing to hurt his draft stock and improved it slightly after handling Clowney and co for the better part of the day. He's still a 1st-2nd round pick.
WRs Justin Hunter and Cordarelle Patterson - Both guys maintained their stock but Hunter is really slipping as of late. Bray being Bray does not help.
RB Marcus Lattimore - The poor guy just can't stay healthy. This latest injury was very grotesque. It has to be a career ender. Reports state that Lattimore has a dislocated knee and hurt ligaments. How he avoided the snapping of all his ligaments and disintegration of the knee cap after watching the injury live is beyond me. My leg hurts just thinking about it.
DE Devin Taylor - He was bottled up pretty well by Tennessee's OL for the most part. Draft stock: holding but slightly discouraged by his lack of production
S DJ Swearinger - Lack of attention from my view helps him. He made a couple of nice plays. Draft stock: UP
Kentucky vs Missouri Saturday Noon EST ESPNU
DE Shelden Richardson - He was all over the field as expected against a hapless Kentucky team. This year's Aldon Smith. Draft stock: holding and well into the 1st round
Is it basketball season yet?
(20) Texas A&M vs Awwourbuttburnz Auburn Saturday 7 pm EST ESPNU (A&M W 63-21)
A complete domination of Auburn. Don't let the 21 fool you, those were garbage time points. The prospects I mentioned played well and were pulled early on. Draft stock: holding steady
DE Corey Lemonier - Did what he could given the scoreline. Draft stock: falling through no fault of his own, guilt by association basically. If Gene Chizik isn't done at Auburn by now, A&M certainly got him fired. They are 0-7 in the SEC so far. It takes serious work to be that bad in this conference.
(2) Florida Gators vs (10) Georgia Bulldogs "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" Saturday 3:30 pm EST CBS
This game was a defensive struggle throughout with the Bulldogs edging the Gators 17-9. A lot of derp went on with both sides committing 9 combined turnovers and 24 combined penalties. The main stars of the game did not fail to shine, however. The biggest star: DE/OLB Jarvis Jones with 13 tackles, 5 sacks, and the game winning Forced Fumble near the goal line. Everybody on UGA's defense either cemented their status or improved upon it.
The other games:
(23) Texas vs Kansas Noon EST (Texas W) - Texas is not a good team at all. They struggled mightily with a Kansas team that got destroyed by the Sooners a week prior. Texas had to come from behind to win this game with a last minute TD. The defense showed up pretty well.
Colorado vs (4) Oregon 3 PM (Oregon W 70-14) - Yeah this game was over by halftime when the Ducks pulled their starters while up 56-0. Here's DAT being DAT on a punt return TD:
ORE 42 - COL 0 (via ESPN)
orth Carolina State vs North Carolina 12:30 pm EST ESPNU (UNC W 43-35) - A barnburner of a game. The two prospects I highlighted for UNC had very good games and improved their already high stocks. RB Gio Bernard stood out with 100+ rushing yards on a bum ankle and the game winning punt return TD. UNC's uniforms were pretty nice looking today too:
(9) USC vs Arizona 3:30 pm EST ABC/ESPN2 (Arizona W 39-36) - Those that were expecting a shootout were well compensated in this one. Both sides combined for over 1,200 yards of offense. Trojans WR Marquise Lee was the standout with 16 catches for 345 yards. QB Matt Barkley put up stats as well but threw 2 costly picks. Barkley's already questionable arm strength took a hit on the Hail Mary pass. The pass looked like a wounded duck. Draft stock: holding steady thanks to the little talent in this year's QB class behind him.
(14) Texas Tech vs (3) Kansas State 3:30 pm EST Fox (KSU win 55-24) - Collin Klein, pack your bags for a trip to New York City in December, sir. He's the Heisman favorite. Texas Tech was leading this game until KSU stormed back to take the game. Bill Snyder is a boss.
Ohio State vs Penn State 5:30 pm ESPN (OSU W 35-23) - A offensive show in the 2nd half.
(18) Clemson at Wake Forest 7:30 pm Thursday ESPN (Clemson W 42-13) - Clemson rolls over the Demon Deacons as expected. WR Nuke Hopkins had an average game by his standards. Clemson's role players did most of the scoring and the stars were kept quiet for the most part.
(5) Notre Dame vs (8) Oklahoma 8 pm ABC (ND W 30-13) - ND is for real. Not many teams go into Norman and whoop the Sooners around like that. Manti Te'o also needs to take a trip to NYC in December too. He has to be #2 in the race.
And to my game:
Duke vs (12) Florida State 3:30 pm ESPNU (FSU W 48-7) - Not a lot can be parsed from this game as the Noles dominated as usual. It was a comprehensive win that everyone's happy to just get out of there with the bye week coming. Duke still leads the ACC Coastal Division with a 6-2 record.
Well that's it for this week, folks!! I hope you enjoyed this new feature! I haven't decided what conference to spotlight next week yet. Stay tuned for next week's entertaining slate of great games! Thanks for reading and commenting!