Well, I guess the fact the we now only have one RB on the roster who has ever played in the NFL doesn't worry the staff*, because here they go with a complete project at QB; but, at least he's 6'5", 235 lbs with a strong arm. This one has Dinger's name written all over it. Rusty Smith, (that name sounds like something from a terrible crime novel) is yet another guy who got ESPN's highest rating for intangibles. The only question is, should Simms or Collins be nervous?
• Named FAU team MVP in 2008. Took responsibility for poor play during the first half of the 2008 season despite playing hurt and bounced back to finish the season strong.
• Questionable overall poise. Takes too many chances and can throw the ball up for grabs when he feels pressure closing in.
• On the flip side, he is a tough competitor who plays with emotion and is willing to take the big hit if it means completing the pass.
• Ball explodes off his hand but his funky, three-quarter, wind-up release makes it easier for defensive linemen to get their hands up in throwing lanes (ed note: where have I heard that before?
• Can make all the NFL throws when his technique is sound but he throws off his back foot or flat-footed too often and his arm not strong enough to get away with it.
• While he fights for yards after contact when he scrambles he is not much of a home run threat.
* - That's not a knock on Ringer, but he got no reps last year behind CJ and LenDale.